Menu

Palazzo Pretorio

Notice

Palazzo Pretorio

Ultimo aggiornamento Venerdì 24 Gennaio 2014 18:59

74 Apalazzopretorio-smallIn posizione emergente rispetto al tessuto urbano dell'antico centro, è posto all'incrocio di via Boccaccio con via Del Rivellino, assi portanti della vita cittadina. La sua mole assume così il ruolo di fuoco prospettico non solo per tali vie, ma anche per tutto il territorio
circostante. Il nucleo più antico del complesso è la parte quadrilatera prospettante su via Boccaccio: era l'antica dimora dei Conti Alberti costruita intorno alla fine del XII sec. sulle rovine delle antiche case di questa famiglia.
Di tali costruzioni sono state trovate parti interrate. Abbiamo accennato al passaggio sotto l'influenza fiorentina del Castello di Certaldo fra la fine del 1200 e i primi decenni del secolo successivo, probabilmente in quest'epoca avviene la presa di potere da parte della Repubblica e quindi la confisca del Palazzo dei Conti. Da uno stemma sotto l'arco d'ingresso si può stabilire che già dal 1420 è sede del Vicariato. Risalgono certamente a quel periodo le prime trasformazioni interne dovute al cambiamento di funzione. Di esse ancor oggi possiamo vedere gli effetti. Da Maschio feudale, abitazione del Signore, fu adattato ad edificio pubblico dove si amministrava la giustizia. Nel 1479 le truppe senesi, unite a quelle del Duca di Calabria, recarono vasti danni al palazzo tanto che si rese necessario un restauro proseguito per ben tre anni. Nel 1538 abbiamo notizia dell'apposizione del grande stemma mediceo in arenaria sulla facciata. Altri lavori alla casetta del Bargello, a sinistra del portone d'ingresso, furono fatti eseguire da Niccolò Guicciardini vicario nel 1572. Nel 1700 viene eseguito il restauro della Cappella interna al palazzo. Verso gli ultimi decenni dello stesso secolo il Palazzo subisce un grave deterioramento di cui ancor oggi possiamo constatare gli effetti, infatti, abolita la sede Vicariale dal Nuovo Regolamento del Granducato, vengono venduti gli arredi e i mobili. L'archivio Vicariale viene trasferito a Castelfiorentino da dove solo un secolo più tardi tornerà nella sua sede naturale. Nell'interno del Palazzo vengono ricavati ben quindici appartamenti di due o tre stanze ciascuno, viene smembrata la partizione originale e il piano nobile è diviso in due parti, recando agli affreschi danni visibili ancora oggi. Dopo un secolo di tale scempio, la comunità di Certaldo riscatta il Palazzo acquistandolo e dando inizio alla lunga opera di ripristino, restauro e riqualificazione resasi necessaria.
La facciata del palazzo a cortina di mattoni è sormontata da merli, sulla destra vi è una piccola torre con orologio posto nel 1484. Tutta la superficie muraria è costellata di stemmi e targhe, sia di pietra sia di marmo; ognuno di essi rappresenta l'arme della famiglia a cui apparteneva il Vicario che li ha fatti apporre. Di notevole fattura e bellezza quelli di terracotta invetriata provenienti dalla bottega dei Della Robbia. I merli e le sei finestre sono frutto dell'invenzione dell'ultimo restauro eseguito a più riprese nel secolo scorso, infatti la facciata originaria si presentava come una compatta mole interrotta solo da un finestrone centrale. Sottostante il palazzo, è la Loggetta del Vicariato formata da un porticato sorretto da pilastri: è ciò che rimane dell'antica loggia trasformata in abitazione nel secolo scorso ed ora ripristinata. Fino al 1800 essa era composta da sei arcate, sostenute da pilastri, ed era chiusa a destra da un muro e a sinistra attestava al muro esterno del carcere pubblico. Due arcate vennero distrutte e precisamente quelle davanti al portone d'ingresso, secondo la relazione dell'Ing. Petrioli, del 1855. Davanti alla loggetta, alla fine del piazzale pavimentato, vicino alla scala, erano posti due pilastri; uno di essi in arenaria del 1530 serviva per la pubblicazione dei bandi e delle leggi, l'altro in travertino portava sulla sommità un leone scolpito in pietra. All'interno della loggetta sono affrescati vari stemmi tra cui campeggia quello dei Medici sormontato dalle insegne papali e dalle chiavi del Triregno. Vi è pure dipinta una Vergine con Bambino ed una figura della Giustizia recante la data 1506. Interessante è il Marzocco sulla parete di destra, in posizione atipica rispetto all'iconografia tradizionale. La loggia, esistente già nel 1455, serviva per le parate solenni e per i ricevimenti del Vicario.
Nel Palazzo si entra da una grande porta; l'atrio d'ingresso, dalla forma irregolare, è coperto da una volta dipinta con stemmi ed iscrizioni dei vicari. Nel piedritto dell'arco zoppo che sorregge la scala di accesso al piano superiore, si apre una piccola porta, al di sopra di questa c'era l'affresco raffigurante S. Tommaso nell'atto di porre il dito nel costato del Salvatore, datato 1490, opera di Pier Francesco Fiorentino, ora nella Sala delle Udienze. Sulla parete sinistra si apre una bella porta in pietra serena finemente lavorata del 1488 che conduce alla Camera del Cavaliere o del Tribunale di forma irregolare con soffitto a volta. Varie sono le tracce di affresco e il più bello doveva essere senza dubbio quello raffigurante la Vergine col Bambino seduta in trono, fatta dipingere dal Vicario Puccio di Antonio Pucci nel 1489 da Pier Francesco Fiorentino; sulla sinistra della stessa parete trovasi un armadino centinato in pietra, scavato nel muro, che deve essere servito da cassaforte (1702). Nella parete di destra si trova un Crocifisso fatto dipingere da Tommaso Portinari nel 1578. Nella parete della porta una mezza figura del Redentore, vi è anche dipinta una raffigurazione allegorica: la Verità strappa con le tenaglie la lingua alla Menzogna, ambedue sotto forma di donna, fatto dipingere da Raffaello Antinori nel 1510, purtroppo appena visibile. Tale affresco indica che questa stanza doveva servire alle istruttorie dei processi.
Ritornati nell'atrio dalla porta di fronte, anch'essa finemente lavorata, del 1506, si entra nella Sala delle Udienze con una Pietà ad affresco dipinta nel 1484, al tempo di Alberto Alberti, forse da Pier Francesco Fiorentino prete e pittore. Collaboratore di Benozzo Gozzoli, sul finire del 1483 venne chiamato a Certaldo per eseguire alcuni affreschi e restaurare quelli che si andavano rovinando. Grazie ad un inventario del 1633 abbiamo notizia anche dell'arredamento di questa sala di udienza, dove si tenevano i processi, purtroppo venduto nel secolo scorso. E' interessante l'iscrizione sulla parete della finestra "Odi l'altra parte e credi poco". Iscrizioni simili si trovano anche nel Palazzo del Popolo di Lucignano e in quello di S. Gimignano, però solo nella forma "Odi l'altra parte". A Certaldo simili saggi ammonimenti appaiono ancora più marcati dal "credi poco" o addirittura dal "credi pochissimo" che si legge in un'altra stanza vicina.
Dalla Sala delle Udienze si entra in una piccola stanzetta che immette in un'altra più grande attraverso una porta a destra: erano queste le celle per gli imputati di colpe civili. Nella copertura a volta della cella più grande c'è una curiosa scritta. Il Batini nel suo libro L'Italia sui Muri del 1968 scrive: "... è stato accertato che per decorare il soffitto i prigionieri - i quali avevano già esaurito lo spazio delle pareti e cercavano zone libere più in alto - formavano una scala umana composta di tre persone". Sotto le iscrizioni è "Castelfiorentino, Giambadia Neri, Giambattista Perazini 1555", alcuni versi ammoniscono un prigioniero ultimo arrivato:
O come mal la discorresti amico
quando mettesti il piè drento a la soglia poiché
l'uscita non sarà a tua voglia
Giambadia il sa e per questo
te lo dico
Dalle carte dei processi dell'archivio sappiamo che questo Giambadia, bravo artista, era un habitué delle locali prigioni. La scritta in questione è stata fatta con il fumo nero della candela.
 

Antiquarium
In queste due sale sono esposti materiali archeologici etruschi, romani e medievali provenienti da località del territorio comunale di Certaldo. Si tratta per la maggior parte di gruppi di oggetti rinvenuti in scavi regolari, ai quali si aggiungono alcuni trovamenti occasionali effettuati in epoche e circostanze diverse.
Un cospicuo complesso è rappresentato da vasi e frammenti provenienti dai resti di una tomba a camera etrusco-ellenistica sul Poggio del Boccaccio (scavo 1973 De Marinis): gli oggetti esposti, databili tra la metà del III ed il II secolo a.C., costituiscono solo una esigua campionatura di una numerosa massa di materiali in attesa di restauro. Pure al periodo etrusco ellenistico è pertinente il gruppo di urne cinerarie e coperchi (II secolo a.C.), rinvenuto nel secolo scorso nella località Pogni, murate come riempimento nel fondo di una mangiatoia. Ad epoca romana imperiale (I secolo d.C.) si riferiscono invece due anfore frammentarie venute in luce negli anni '60 nel corso di lavori edilizi in Certaldo Basso. Il periodo altomedievale è rappresentato da un gruppo di materiali del VI-VII secolo d.C. provenienti dal già citato scavo del 1973 sul Poggio del Boccaccio, ove dovette esistere, in quell'epoca, un insediamento agricolo, verosimilmente un deposito di derrate. Ai secoli dopo il Mille, cioè al Medio Evo vero e proprio, sono invece pertinenti numerosi gruppi di frammenti provenienti da saggi di scavo effettuati negli anni '60 nell'area di Semifonte, il borgo fortificato ghibellino distrutto dai fiorentini ai primi del 1200. Dal borgo di Petrognano, nell'area di Semifonte, provengono ceramiche relative ad un antico frantoio attivo fin dal XV secolo.
Ritornati nell'atrio ci troviamo di fronte al cortile irregolare del Palazzo. Davanti un loggiato i cui pilastri sorreggono un'altra loggia coperta, a sinistra si trovano due rampe di scale che salgono l'una di rimpetto all'altra e portano alla parte anteriore (sinistra) e alla parte posteriore (destra) del Palazzo. Tutto il cortile, di gusto rinascimentale, è coperto da stemmi dipinti o scolpiti.
Lungo la parete di destra si apre la cappella di Palazzo, sulla porta di ingresso troviamo inciso l'anno di costruzione 1456. Essa serviva come confortatorio per i condannati a morte e come cappella privata del Vicario. Alle pareti tracce di affreschi con stemmi rappresentanti le ventiquattro potesterie soggette al Vicariato. Uscendo dalla Cappella sempre a destra incontriamo la Sala dei Dieci di Balìa a cui si accede attraverso una porta datata 1476. Interessanti i peducci scolpiti in pietra, sulle pareti tracce di iscrizioni e stemmi.
Attraverso una porta datata 1601 si accede alla Stanza dei tormenti, dove venivano torturati gli sventurati ospiti dell'attigua Prigione criminale. Uscendo sul cortile del Palazzo, sotto il loggiato, si entra in un corridoio basso e buio che conduce alle Prigioni Criminali, dove sono graffiti nomi e date, a ricordo e testimonianza di chi vi passò lunghi periodi di prigionia.
Alla fine del corridoio troviamo tre celle: una circolare è ricavata nel basamento del torrione, le altre nello spazio interposto fra il Palazzo e le mura di cinta del Castello. Le porte sono così basse che bisogna entrare carponi; sulle pareti le terribili testimonianze dei condannati rinchiusi in questi tetri ed umidi sotterranei, dove trascorsero giorni, mesi e forse anni senza vedere il sole, in lente agonie fisiche e spirituali. Bellissima e drammatica è una raffigurazione del sole tracciata da un ignoto prigioniero, esso è malinconico e triste ed i suoi raggi filiformi indicano il numero di giorni trascorsi nella cella. Uscendo dal tetro corridoio, a destra troviamo altri due locali un tempo prigioni delle donne ed in epoca più recente cucine e dispense. Completamente interrato, sotto tali locali, è un vano coperto a volta, terribile segreta usata in epoca antica, più tardi adibito a cantina.
Tornati nel cortile monumentale e notato il pittoresco pozzo, si imboccano le scale di sinistra che conducono al piano nobile. Le scale sono riparate da una leggera tettoia sorretta da eleganti e snelle colonnine quattrocentesche con capitello ionico. Le pareti sono coperte di stemmi dipinti o in pietra. Sul primo pianerottolo è visibile La scena della Visitazione col nome degli Alberti datato 1254.
In cima alle scale da una porta sulla destra si entra nel Ridotto stanza di forma irregolare con alle pareti alcuni gonfaloni dei comuni soggetti al Vicariato. Da una porticina a destra si entra nello Scrittoio del Vicario con piccola finestra rifatta in epoca recente. Sulla parete di sinistra si apre la porta che immette nella Sala del Vicario, che occupa il vano del corpo principale del Palazzo, di forma rettangolare, qui si tenevano le cerimonie più importanti, le parate solenni e le feste di ingresso dei Vicari. In tale stanza era conservato il prezioso Archivio Vicariale, poi spostato nei locali della Biblioteca comunale di Certaldo nella città bassa. Il salone del Vicario è l'ambiente più importante dell'antico complesso. Dalle tre finestre della facciata si gode un bellissimo panorama su via Boccaccio e i principali monumenti della città.
Poco rimane delle antiche decorazioni e stemmi affrescati, ma è certo che sulle pareti esistono molteplici strati di dipintura attestanti secoli di storia. Sulla parete di fronte all'ingresso resti di affresco raffigurante S.Martino a cavallo, la Vergine seduta col Bambino in mezzo a due Santi di Pier Francesco Fiorentino un affresco mutilo in cui appare un'altra Madonna, tutti del XV secolo. Sulla parete di fronte alle finestre tracce di affreschi in cattive condizioni; verso l'angolo destro una figura di S. Giovanni e sopra la porta una Crocifissione. Da una porta con cornice in pietra si accede al quartiere privato del Vicario, ora vasta sala rettangolare ma anticamente suddivisa in tre stanze. Sulla parete d'ingresso un bel caminetto in pietra serena con stemma del Vicario Giovan Battista Ridolfi datato 1488. Nell'angolo destro della parete che guarda sul cortile una Maddalena penitente fatta dipingere dal Vicario Francesco Pitti nel 1522. Originariamente tale stanza era divisa in tre parti denominate: la saletta, la camera e l'anticamera del Vicario e della sua famiglia.
Si entra poi, scendendo due scalini, nella cosiddetta Camera delle Serve di forma singolare, dove rimane solo una mezza figura affrescata. Dalla porta di fronte si accede alla terrazza del torrione, facente parte della cerchia muraria del Castello, anticamente separato dal resto del Palazzo e probabilmente collegato con un piccolo ponte di legno. Rientrando nel Palazzo a destra si entra nella stanza detta Alcova del Vicario o stanza buia da qui, per una porticciola centinata, si entra nella loggia coperta dove si trova un affresco raffigurante una Madonna col Bambino datata 1512 di fattura modesta.
All'estremità opposta della parete si trova una porta che immette nella Camera dei forestieri con un bellissimo affresco rappresentante La Madonna col Bambino in trono di Pier Francesco Fiorentino commissionata dal Vicario Matteo Cerretani nel 1495 ed una Pietà di scuola senese (1574).
Tornati nel cortile monumentale si entra nel giardino di destra da dove è possibile accedere ai camminamenti di ronda che portano al torrione, possente struttura difensiva cinquecentesca posta a strapiombo su Via di Quercetella, antica via d'accesso al Castello. Da notare la rettilineità della via in modo da scoprire il più possibile gli eventuali assalitori. Il paesaggio giunto integro fino a noi e celebrato dalle foto Alinari dei primi del secolo è destinato a subire trasformazioni.
Ritornati al giardino, dominato dalla severa mole del maschio Albertiano, si giunge alla chiesa di San Tommaso a cui si accede attraverso una bella porta laterale. Il giardino è dotato di servizi igienici e nella stagione estiva ospita spettacoli teatrali e concerti.


PALAZZO PRETORIO
Emerging from the urban texture of the historic center of Certaldo, the Palazzo del Vicario, or Palazzo Pretorio stands at the intersection between Via Boccaccio and Via del Rivellino, the main thoroughfares of town life. Its impressive bulk thus takes on the role of focal point not only for those two streets, but for all the surrounding area. The oldest core of the complex is the four-sided section looking onto Via Boccaccio. This was the ancient home of the Alberti counts, built around the end of the twelfth century on the ruins of the ancient houses of this family. Sections of these old buildings have been found underground. We mentioned earlier the passage of Certaldo Castle under Florentine influence between the end of the thirteenth century and the early decades of the following century. Probably during this period the Republic of Florence took power and confiscated the Alberti family's palace. We know from a coat of arms under the entrance arch that already in 1420 it was the seat of the vicariate. Certainly the first interior renovations were made at that time to adapt the building to its new function. We can still see the effects of this today. The feudal defense tower and patrician residence was turned into a public building where justice was administered.
In 1479 Sienese troops, along with those of the Duke of Calabria, wrought extensive damage on the palace, which made necessary a restoration campaign that lasted for three years. In 1538 we are told that the large Medici coat of arms, made of sandstone, was placed on the façade. Other work on the little house of the Bargello, or chief of police, to the left of the great entrance door, was ordered by Niccolò Guicciardini, vicar in 1572. The chapel inside the palace was restored in the eighteenth century. Toward the final decades of that same century the palace underwent grave deterioration, whose effects are still visible today. After the seat of the vicariate was abolished by the new policies of the Grand Duchy, the palace was stripped of its furnishings and the furniture was sold. The vicariate's archives were taken to Castelfiorentino, and only a century later would be returned to their natural home. The palace interior was carved up into fifteen apartments of two or three rooms each, dismantling the original layout, and the first floor was divided into two parts, causing damage to the frescoes that we can still see. After a century of this sort of havoc, the community of Certaldo purchased the palace and began a long work of restoration of the building and its image that had become necessary. The palace's solid brick façade is topped by crenellations. On the right is a small tower with a clock, placed therein 1484.
The entire surface of the façade is studded with coats of arms and plaques, both of stone and marble, each representing the family of a vicar, who had his arms put on the building while he was in office. The glazed terracotta ones made in the Della Robbia workshop are particularly well-made and beautiful. The crenellations and six windows were added during a nineteenth century restoration that was carried out in various phases. The original façade was a compact mass pierced only by one large central window. On the street level is the Loggetta del Vicariato, formed by a porch supported by pillars. It is what remains of the ancient loggia, which was transformed into a house in the last century and has now been put back the way it was. Until 1800 it was composed of six arches supported by pillars, and was closed off on the right by a wall. On the left it rested against the outer wall of the town prison. Two arches were destroyed, more precisely the ones in front of the entrance door, according to a report by the engineer Petrioli in 1855. In front of the porch, at the end of the paved area, near the stairs, stood two pillars. One of these, made of sandstone in 1530, served for the publication of decrees and laws, and a carved stone lion was placed on top of the other, which was made of travertine. Inside the porch are frescoed various coats of arms, among which the Medici arms stand out, topped by the papal insignia and keys. There is also an image of The Virgin and Child and a figure of Justice bearing the date 1506. The image of the Florentine lion, the Marzocco, on the right wall is interesting, as its position is unusual with espect to traditional iconography. The loggia, which already existed in 1455, served for solemn parades and receptions held by the Vicar.
Entering the palace through the large front door, we come into the Atrium, whose irregularly shaped interior is covered by a vault painted with coats of arms and inscriptions. In the pier of the truncated arch supporting the staircase to the upper floor is a small door, topped by a fresco of Saint Thomas Placing his Hand in the Savior's Side, dated 1490, the work of Pier Francesco Fiorentino, now in Audience Chamber.
In the left wall is a beautiful door made of pietra serena, the local gray sandstone, very finely carved in 1488; it leads into the Knight's Chamber, or the Tribunal, an irregularly shaped vaulted room. Various traces of frescoes remain; the most beautiful was undoubtedly The Virgin and Child Enthroned, commissioned by the Vicar Puccio di Antonio Pucci from Pier Francesco Fiorentino in 1489. On this same wall, on the left, is a small cupboard topped with a stone arch and set into the wall, which must have served as a safe. On the right wall is a Crucifix which Tommaso Portinari ordered to be painted in 1578. The wall with the door is decorated with a half-length figure of the Redeemer and an allegorical painting, Truth Pulling Falsehood's Tongue out with a Pair of Pliers, in which both abstractions are symbolized by a woman. It was commissioned by Raffaello Antinori in 1510 and is unfortunately barely visible. The fresco indicates that this room must have been used for trials.
 
Coming back out into the atrium, we go through the door facing us, it too finely carved in 1506. In front of the entrance to the Sala delle Udienze, or Audience Chamber, is a Pietà painted in 1484, during the time of Alberto Alberti, perhaps by Pier Francesco Fiorentino, who was a priest and a painter. Towards the end of 1483, he was summoned to Certaldo to paint some frescoes and restore those that were falling into ruin. Thanks to a 1633 inventory, we have information also about the furnishings of this audience hall, where trials were held; unfortunately, it was sold in the last century. There is an interesting inscription on the wall with the window: "Listen to the other side and believe little of what you hear." Similar inscriptions are also found in the Palazzo del Popolo in Lucignano and the one in San Gimignano, however they appear only in shorter form, "Listen to the other side." In Certaldo, these wise admonitions are strengthened even more by the addition, "believe little," or even "believe very little," as seen in another room nearby.
From the Audience Chamber we go into a little room that then leads into another, larger one through a door on the right: these were the cells for people accused of civil crimes. In the ceiling of the largest cell is a curious inscription. Batini, in his book L'Italia sui Muri, published in 1968, writes: "It has been ascertained that in order to decorate the ceiling, prisoners – who had already exhausted the space on the walls and were looking for free areas up higher – would form a human ladder made up of three persons". Under the inscription "Castelfiorentino, Giambadia Neri, Giambattista Perazini 1555," some lines warn the latest prisoner to enter the cell:
Oh how badly did things go for you, friend
when you set foot inside this threshold,
since your exit will not be up to you
Giambadia knows this and this is why
I am telling you
From the trial records in the archives we know that this Giambadia, a capable artist, was an habitué of the local prisons. The inscription just quoted was made using candle black.
 

Antiquarium
In these two rooms are displayed Etruscan, Roman, and medieval archaeological material from sites in the municipal territory of Certaldo. For the most part these are groups of objects found in regular excavation campaigns, but there are objects found by chance in different periods and circumstances. A significant portion of the material consists of vases and fragments from what is left of an Etruscan-Hellenistic chamber tomb on the Poggio del Boccaccio, brought to light during a dig in 1973 (De Marinis). The objects on display, datable between the middle of the third and the second century B.C., are only a small sampling of a large mass of material waiting to be restored. Also from the Etruscan-Hellenistic period is a group of second century B.C. cinerary urns and lids, found at Pogni during the last century in unknown circumstances. Two fragmentary amphorae found during the 1960s at building sites in the lower town of Certaldo Basso date to Imperial Roman times, the first century A.D. The early Middle Ages are represented by a group of finds from the sixth and seventh centuries found in the excavation mentioned above, on the Poggio del Boccaccio, in 1973. An agricultural settlement of some kind must have existed there, most probably storerooms for the products of the land. From the centuries after the year 1000, i.e., the Middle Ages properly speaking, we have numerous groups of fragments coming from test pits made in the 1960s in the area of Semifonte, the Ghibelline fortified town destroyed by the Florentines in the early thirteenth century. Some pottery pertaining to an ancient olive press, active from the fifteenth century onwards, comes from the hamlet of Petrognano, in the area of Semifonte.
 
Now back in the atrium, we are in front of the irregular courtyard of the palace. Facing us is a porch, whose pillars support another covered loggia. On the left are two flights of stairs directly facing each other that go up to the front (on the left) and back (on the right) sections of the palace. The entire courtyard, built in the Renaissance style, is covered by painted or sculpted coats of arms.
The Palace Chapel opens along the right wall. The year of its construction, 1456, is inscribed on the door. The chapel was used to comfort prisoners sentenced to death and as the Vicar's private chapel. On the walls are traces of frescoes with the arms of the twenty-four administrative territories under the Vicar's rule. Coming out of the chapel, on the right again, we come to the Hall of the Ten in Power, reached through a door dated 1476. The sculpted stone corbels are worthy of notice. On the walls are traces of inscriptions and coats of arms.
A door dated 1601 takes us into the Stanza dei tormenti, the Room of Torments, next to the criminal prison. Coming into the courtyard of the palace, under the loggia we enter a dark, low corridor that leads to the Criminal Prison, which contains graffiti of names and dates, act as testimony and remembrances of those who spent long periods of imprisonment in them. At the end of the corridor are three cells: a round one was created out of the foundations of the tower, and the other two from the space between the palace and the precinct walls of the castle. The doors are so low that they are entered on hands and knees. On the walls are the terrible testimonies of the prisoners shut up in these dark and damp underground cells, where they spent days, months, and maybe years without seeing the sun, in long, drawn out physical and spiritual agony.
A beautiful, dramatic image of the sun was traced by an unknown prisoner. It is melancholic and sad, and its threadlike rays indicate the number of days he had spent in the cell. Coming out of the gloomy corridor, on the right we find two other rooms which were once used as the women's prison and more recently as kitchens and storerooms. Completely underground, beneath these rooms, is a vaulted chamber, a dreadful secret place which was used long ago, and more recently set up as a cellar.
 
Returning into the monumental courtyard – notice the picturesque well – and up the stairs on the left, we reach the noble first floor of the palace. The stairs are covered by a light roof supported by elegant slender fifteenth century columns with Ionic capitals. The walls are decorated with painted and stone coats of arms. On the first landing is the scene of The Visitation, with the name of the Alberti, dated 1254. At the head of the stairs a door on the right leads into the Ridotto, an irregularly shaped room with standards of the communes under the Vicariate's jurisdiction on the walls.
 
A little door on the right leads into the Vicar's writing room, with a small window that was redone in recent times. A door in the left wall goes into the Vicar's Room, which occupies the space of the main section of the palace. In this rectangular room the most important ceremonies were held, the solemn parades and the celebrations for the entrance of a new Vicar. This room used to hold the very valuable Archives of the Vicariate, later transferred to the Biblioteca Comunale di Certaldo, the city's public library in the lower city. The Vicari's Salon is the most important room in the entire complex. The three windows in the façade afford a beautiful view of Via Boccaccio and the major monuments of the city.
Little is left of the ancient decorations and frescoed coats of arms, but it is certain that there are numerous layers of paint on the walls, attesting to centuries of history. On the wall facing the door are remnants of a fresco of Saint Martin on Horseback, The Virgin and Child Seated Between Two Saints by Pier Francesco Fiorentino; and a mutilated fresco of the Virgin Mary, all of these dating to the fifteenth century. On the wall facing the windows are traces of frescoes in bad condition; towards the right corner is a figure of Saint John and above the door is a Crucifixion.
A door with a stone frame leads into the Vicar's private apartment, which is now a vast rectangular salon but in the past was divided into three rooms. On the entrance wall is a very fine fireplace with the arms of the Vicar Giovan Battista Ridolfi, dated 1488.
In the right corner of the wall overlooking the courtyard is a Penitent Mary Magdalene, commissioned by the Vicar Francesco Pitti in 1522. This room was originally divided into three parts, the little drawing room, the chamber, and the antechamber of the Vicar and his family. Now, going down two steps, we enter the so-called Maids' Quarters, a room of unusual shape, where only a frescoed half-figure survives. The door in front of us leads to the terrace of the defense tower, which is part of the defense walls of the castle. There were originally separate from the rest of the palace and probably connected by a little wooden bridge. Coming back into the palace, on the right we enter the room called the Vicar's Alcove, a room with no outside light. From it, going through a little arched door, we come onto the covered porch, where we find a fresco of The Virgin and Child, dated 1512, rather ineptly painted.
At the opposite end of the wall is a door going into the Guest Chamber, with a very beautiful fresco of The Virgin and Child Enthroned by Pier Francesco Fiorentino, commissioned by Vicar Matteo Cerretani in 1495, and a Pietà of the Sienese school, of 1574.
Going down the stairs to the courtyard and entering the garden on the right, you can go along the watchman's path to the defense tower, a massive sixteenth century structure from which it is a sheer drop to Via di Quercetella, the ancient road leading to the castle. Notice how the road makes a straight line, to make it easier to see invaders before they had a chance to get too close. The landscape, which has survived to our day intact and is celebrated in early twentieth century photos made by the famous Florentine photographers, Alinari, is destined to undergo transformations. Going back into the garden, which is dominated by the austere bulk of the Alberti tower, we come to the church of San Tommaso, entered through a beautiful side door. The garden is equipped with rest rooms and in the summer is the site of plays and concerts.